Tuesday 5 April 2016

The pasos of Baza

So I said I wouldn't post any more about Semana Santa, but I do have SOOOO many photos, and I thought it might be fun to do a post just on the pasos that I saw in procesiones throughout the week.


Santa Cruz - the paso of the Holy Cross.  As the bearers carrying this paso carry it from underneath, they are known as costaleros.


Cristo de la Misericordia  - Christ of Mercy.  Because these bearers carry the paso on their shoulders, they are known as horquilleros.


Maria de la Soledad - Our Lady of Solitude.  Wish I'd gotten a front-on view of this paso, but this is a pretty cool pic as it is.


Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazaréno - Our Lord Jesus of Nazareth.  I don't have a photo from the other side, but it's a pretty cool paso of Jesus being whipped by the Romans...which is definitely sad, yes - but it was a cool paso!


Apparently I don't have a better picture of this one, but that's actually not a bad thing - this was not my favourite paso.  Ironically, it's Cristo del Amor, Christ of Love!



This one was lovely - Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza, Our Lady of Hope.


A very late procesión, so minimal photos - Cristo de los ndez, Christ of the Méndez.  I have no idea what that means, by the way.


The only daylight procesión - Cristo del Descendimiento, or Christ of the Descent from the Cross.


Our Lady of Sorrows - one of two pasos and procesiones for this imágen.


A poor photo, but this one was interesting - Santo Sepulcro, the Holy Sepulchre.  A large, gilt coffin with a slightly-smaller-than-lifesize Jesus inside.


Nuestra Sora de los Dolores - again, Our Lady of Sorrows.  Like the preceding procesión, this one was totally silent.


Perhaps the most interesting, and probably my favourite - Cristo Resucitado, Christ of the Resurrection.  This was the children's procesión, which was why I liked it so much.


This is from a procesión I didn't see, but this is Jesús en Jerusalé(Jesús de la Paz) - aka Jesus in Jerusalem or Jesus of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment